(Last update : Sun, 13 Feb 2000)
[ Evariste® | Forum ]
From patrick.schouller@inria.fr Wed Mar 26 18:09 MET 1997
From: Patrick Schouller
Subject: PARTENAIRE ESPAGNOL EN SANTE

DETAILS OF CONTACT POINT

Name	FUNDACION UNIVERSITAT JAUME I EMPRESA

Address	CAMPUS CRTA BORRIOL EDIFICIO B, 2º
Tel.	964/345816
Fax	964/345808
E-mail	arenos@fue.uji.es

SUMMARY OF PROJECT

11.3 Describe the application you wish to develop and test

Access to telecommunication services in a city.
Access to information technology products.
Interfaces and tools.
Social information networks.
Integrated systems for daily living.
Integrated systems for promoting involvement of people in Society.
Cooperation and international activities.

Project Title: SOCRATES

1- Objectives
		1.1.- Facilitate Communication.
		1.2.- Education, Training and Professional Capacity of the Disabled
		1.3.- Guide and aid to Employment
		1.4.- Virtual City without barriers.

2- Structure of the City:
	2.1.- Cultural Area: 		A) Library
					B) Theatre, Cinemas
					C) Newspapers stands.
	2.2.- Commercial Area   		A) Shopping Centre
					B) Employment office
						B.1 Employment
						B.2 Official Aid
						B.3 Companies that Offer Employment
	2.3.- Other activities
					A) Sports Centre
					B) Schools and Universities
					C) New Technologies of Information
					D) Services and Information Office
					E) Research Campus

	The principal objective of SOCRATES,  is to offer the disabled, all the
services and activities that can be found in a city. It allows to eliminate
the differences and existent barriers for people who suffer some kind of
handicap and those who do not suffer them, giving services to all activities
(Educational, Social, Cultural, Political, Employment, etc).

	With the use of the New Technologies we will be able to improve the level
of training, information and communication of these people.

	We are trying to complete two great objectives:
1- Give the handicapped a greater autonomy.
2- Greater economic and social participation, trying to avoid their
discrimination .

The Technologies of Communication are an important tool in the polity to
educate of people with any type of handicap and have all range of activities
such as among anothers, business, cultural diffusion, teaching, science,
technology, TV,  etc.

1.1- FACILITATE COMMUNICATION
Our first objective of the Socrates Project is to facilitate the
communication among people with some kind of handicap. With the use of the
new technologies the techniques of teaching and communication for these
people could be perfected.
	SOCRATES offers them, the possibility of meetings and of speaking using the
voice or the keyboard in the different centres of the city. 	The city is
structure is in areas of thematic interest which offer possibilities of
communication.
SOCRATES is projected as a city in which the users could developed in
different surroundings and by means of using the appropriate device
(generally a mouse) have contacts and communications with other visitors  at
the same time, facilitating the dialogue by write or by means of the voice,
no matter where  the location of the speakers in the world.
We think that the SOCRATES Project, through the adaptation and development
of the new technologies of information and communication, will be a strategy
in order to achieve human promotion, cultural progress, better training, aid
to employment and enjoy the free time.
	They will have access to technological advances able to help to improve
their inherent problems .

1.2 EDUCACION, TRAINING And PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY

The objective is the professional training of these people having in mind
the demands of society and the technological change. We think that the
training of these people is one of the base for their social integration.

We are trying to promote and encourage the equality to have access to the
professional and continuous training of the people at disadvantage, to avoid
their social exclusion.

With SOCRATES, we hope to achieve the said objective since the training of
people without having to leave their place, is encouraged which gives the
possibility of getting a full training avoiding all type of barriers at the
same time.
	We are thinking therefore, of methods of open training learning and in
order to facilitate an access to professional training. It means the
acquisition of flexible skilled qualifications and increase their personal
abilities.

The new technologies of information and the use of computers are two very
valuable methods to attend people with problems of communication. The
advantages of the use of the new technologies could reduce the present
differences between people with handicaps, and those that they do not have=
 them.
We believe that with this type of training we will get a disabled people
with greater opportunities for social integration.

In short, our objectives are:

1-Courses and seminars
2-Social Integration the people with handicaps.
3-Give the handicapped a greater autonomy

1.3 EMPLOYMENT

Our objective is to achieve a greater  integration at work of these people.=

Our objective in the first phase is give information of services that given
by other Employment institutions. To co-ordinate Socrates with the existent
policy, collaborate in develop materials for New Technologies of the
Information training and collaborate with other institutions in facilitating
Employment for people with any type of handicap.

In this area we can point to the following activities:

1-Promotion and professional advice to companies on the existent showing the
advantages of recruiting people with any handicaps.
2-Information through meetings, seminars, lectures and forums.
3-Beable to have files on handicapped, persons who wish to who have acquired
a professional capacity.

We also want to give information, within the Socrates City, on all the
related topics about the employment for the disabled.

1-Companies that offer employment.
2-Oficial aid.
3-Governmental Policy

VIRTUAL CITY WITHOUT BARRIERS

We believe that the SOCRATES Project aims to one of the most ambitious
objectives of our present day society, the "suppression of barriers."

1-Mobility: Any visitor will have within their reach all the services that a
city offers, no matter where he may be.
2-Communication:  through Internet will be able to communicate he can share
experiences which can be useful for their integration.
3-Access to training. It will allow to get a greater professional capacity.
4-There is no need for any means of transport

PARTNERS SOUGHT

RESEARCH, EDUCATION OR INDUSTRY

                        Patrick SCHOULLER
MINISTERE DE L'INDUSTRIE DE LA POSTE ET DES TELECOMMUNICATIONS
	  Direction Generale des Strategies Industrielles
	     3/5 rue Barbet de Jouy 75353 PARIS  07 SP
Telephone : + 33 1 43 19 34 25
Telecopie : + 33 1 43 19 35 51